Taciturnsim on The Sims 2 BBS has found The Sims 3 EULA tucked away on EA’s server. You can download the PDF here, or read the full EULA (as of 3/22/09 – it is subjected to change). In the EULA, it mentions that In-Game Advertisments appear. If you don’t want them, you’ll have to turn off your internet connection before playing the game. Personally I have no problems with this (I can live with ads – just not pop ups), but some may. Make sure you hit “Read the rest of this post” for the full details!
END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
FOR THE SIMS 3 GAME
(DISTRIBUTED ON PHYSICAL MEDIA)
This End User License Agreement (“License”) is an agreement between you and Electronic Arts Inc. and its affiliates (collectively “EA”). This License governs your use of legitimate copies of this software, and all related documentation, utilities, and updates and upgrades that replace or supplement the software and are not distributed with a separate license (collectively, the “Software”). This Software is licensed to you, not sold.
By installing or using the Software, you agree to accept the terms and conditions of this License and be bound to them. If you do not agree to the terms of this License, then do not install or use the Software. Sections 4 and 5 below describe data EA may use to provide services and support to you in connection with the Software. If you do not agree to this use of data, do not install or use the Software. IF YOU INSTALL the Software, you fully accept the terms and conditions of this License.
Right to Return: If you do not agree to the terms of this License, and if you purchased this game from a physical retail store in the United States, and if you have not installed or used the Software, you may return the Software for a refund or exchange within thirty (30) days from the date of purchase by following the instructions for return available at warrantyinfo.ea.com.
1. Limited License Grant and Terms
A. Grant. Through an authorized purchase or transfer, you acquire and EA grants you a non‐exclusive license to install and use the Software for your personal, limited, non‐commercial use solely as set forth in this License and the accompanying documentation. Your acquired rights are subject to your agreement and continuing compliance with this License. Commercial use of the Software is prohibited. You are expressly prohibited from sub‐licensing, renting, leasing or otherwise distributing the Software or rights to use the Software, except by transfer as expressly set forth in section 3 below. Your License term begins on the date on which you install or otherwise use the Software, and ends on the date that you dispose of the Software or EA terminates this License, whichever is earlier. Your license will terminate immediately if you attempt to circumvent the technical protection measures for the Software. All use of the Software is subject to this License. A separate Terms of Service agreement, and The Sims 3 Store digital services agreement, as applicable, governs your use of online services in connection with the Software. You may view the Terms of Service agreement at terms.ea.com and the The Sims 3 Store digital services agreement at The Sims 3 Store online.
B. Technical Protection Measures. Your license to the Software is verified by inserting the disk in the drive and by entering the serial code enclosed with the Software. Thereafter, you must have the disk in the drive to use the Software. If you disable or otherwise tamper with the technical protection measures, the Software may not function properly and you will have materially breached this License. Keep your serial code. You will need the serial code to access online services.
C. Using Online Services. You must have an EA account and have accepted EA’s terms of service at terms.ea.com, and have registered the Software with the enclosed serial code to access online services including the upload and download additional content for the Software and The Sims 3 Exchange , and SimPoints and The Sims 3 Store. MAC users must also update to the latest version of The Sims 3 Launcher in order to access online services. Only one copy of the Software may access online services at a time. Acceptance of a separate digital services agreement is also required to use The Sims 3 Store and SimPoints. Only one user of the Software may register the Software online to access online services.
Online registration of the Software is not transferable. If your EA account is terminated, you will not be able to upload or download content or access online services.
D. The Sims 3 Launcher, Software Updates, and EA’s Download Manager. When you install the Software on a PC, EA provides you the option of installing EA’s Download Manager application. A connection to the Internet and the Download Manager application are required to download and install Software updates. If you do not install EA’s Download Manager, you will not be able to download and install Software updates. The EA Download Manager application is included with your game. If you wish to install EA Download Manager, double click the executable file and it will begin the installation process. You can choose to install it at a later date if you wish to receive Software updates. You can also delete the file (uninstalled) from your computer. If you install the EA Download Manager and wish to remove it, follow the “remove program” instructions for your Windows Operating System. The Sims 3 Launcher is the screen from which you may launch (play) your game, manage Software updates, and upload and download content, if you are connected to the Internet. If your computer is connected to the Internet, The Sims 3 Launcher will automatically provide you with access to news, content, and information from The Sims 3 and The Sims 3 community and connect you to The Sims website(s). We may automatically update the Download Manager (if you have it installed) or other components of the Software when your computer is connected to the Internet to keep the Software functioning properly. You may separately uninstall the Download Manager, but if you do so, you may not have access to Software updates. Software updates may be used only with licensed copies of the Software.
2. Intellectual Property Rights and Ownership.
A. Reservation of Rights. You have purchased a limited license to the Software and your rights are limited to the license grant above and subject to this License. You may not otherwise copy, display, distribute, perform, publish, modify, or use the Software or any component of it. You are prohibited from making a copy of the Software available on a network where it could be used or downloaded by multiple users. Except as expressly licensed to you herein, EA and its licensors, as applicable, owns and reserves all right, title and interest in the Software, and all related data, characters, themes, objects, storyline, images, photographs, graphics, animations, video, music, text, and the associated copyrights, trademarks, moral rights and other intellectual property rights therein. This License is limited to the intellectual property rights of EA and its licensors in the Software and does not include any rights to other patents or intellectual property. Except to the extent permitted under applicable law, you may not decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer or created derivative works of the Software by any means whatsoever. You may not remove, alter, or obscure any product identification, copyright, or other intellectual property notices in the Software. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved to EA.
B. Contributing Content through The Sims 3 Launcher
1. If you have an EA account and have registered the Software online, the Software allows you to download additional content for the game from EA’s website(s) and to upload content to the website(s) through The Sims 3 Launcher.
2. Uploading and downloading content is subject to EA’s online terms of service (terms.ea.com). You may not upload any content through the Software that is protected by copyright, trademark or other intellectual property rights unless you are permitted to do so by the owner or law. EA may, without prior notice to you and in its sole judgment, remove content that may infringe the intellectual property rights of a third party. If you are a repeat infringer of EA’s or a third party’s intellectual property rights, EA may terminate your EA account without notice to you.
3. In exchange for enabling your contribution of content, when you contribute content through the Software, you expressly grant to EA a non‐exclusive, perpetual, fully transferable and sub‐licensable, worldwide, irrevocable right to use, reproduce, modify and create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, broadcast, and publicly display and perform the content, or any portion thereof, in connection with the distribution of such content to other users and potential users of the Software (such as, for example, featuring such content for download in The Sims 3 Launcher) and in the marketing and advertising of the Software, without further notice, payment or attribution to you. You grant EA all licenses, consents and clearances to enable EA to use such content for such purposes.
4. In exchange for the right to use content contributed by other users through the Software, when you contribute content through the Software, you expressly grant to other users of the Software the non‐exclusive, perpetual, transferable, worldwide, irrevocable right to access and use, copy, modify, display, perform, and create and distribute derivative works from, your contributed content in connection with the Software, and to distribute and otherwise communicate your contributed content as a component of works that they create using the Software, for example, The Sims lots or The Sims videos, without further notice, attribution or compensation to you. You hereby waive any moral rights of paternity, publication, reputation, or attribution under applicable law with respect to EA’s and other players’ use and enjoyment of such content contributions in connection with the Software.
3. Transfer. You may make a one time permanent transfer to all your rights to install and use the Software to another individual or legal entity on the following conditions: (a) you also transfer this License and all copies of the Software; (b) you retain no copies of the Software, upgrades, updates or prior versions; and (c) the receiving party accepts the terms and conditions of this License. Online registration is not transferable. When you register your Software online to access online services, that registration is unique to you. If you make a legitimate transfer of the Software, you transfer the licensed rights to the copy of the Software itself, but not the right to access any services that are made available in connection with the Software online. In addition, such a transfer may not include the right to receive updates, dynamically served content, or the right to upload and download content, or use any other online service of EA in connection with the Software. EA may require that any end user of the Software register the Software online as a condition of use and/or the purchase additional Licenses.
NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, YOU MAY NOT TRANSFER PRE‐RELEASE COPIES OF THE SOFTWARE.
4. Consent to Collection and Use of Data. To facilitate the provision of software updates; dynamically served content including advertising; product support; and online services to you, you agree that EA and its affiliates may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (such as Internet Protocol Address and hardware identification), operating system, and application software and peripheral hardware, and non‐personally identifiable game play and software usage statistics, without further notice to you. EA and its affiliates may also use this information in the aggregate, in a form which does not personally identify you, to improve our products and services and we may share anonymous aggregate data with our third party service providers.
6. Termination. This License is effective until terminated. Your rights under this License will terminate immediately and automatically without any notice from EA if you fail to comply with any of the terms and conditions of this License. Promptly upon termination, you must cease all use of the Software and destroy all copies of the Software in your possession or control. Termination will not limit any of EA’s other rights or remedies at law or in equity. Sections 2 and 4 ‐ 17 of this License shall survive termination or expiration of this License for any reason.
7. Limited Warranty on Recording Media. THE LIMITED WARRANTY ON THE RECORDING MEDIA THAT ACCOMPANIES YOUR SOFTWARE IS FOUND IN THE APPLICABLE PRODUCT MANUAL THAT WAS DISTRIBUTED WITH YOUR SOFTWARE AND IS INCORPORATED HEREIN BY REFERENCE. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS. YOU MAY ALSO HAVE ADDITIONAL RIGHTS UNDER APPLICABLE LOCAL LAW, WHICH VARY FROM JURISDICTION TO JURISDICTION.
8. Disclaimer of Warranties. EXCEPT FOR THE LIMITED WARRANTY ON RECORDING MEDIA FOUND IN THE PRODUCT MANUAL, AS APPLICABLE, AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED TO YOU “AS IS,” WITH ALL FAULTS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, AND YOUR USE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE ENTIRE RISK OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE RESIDES WITH YOU. EA AND EA’S LICENSORS (COLLECTIVELY “EA” FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION AND SECTION 9) DO NOT MAKE, AND HEREBY DISCLAIM, ANY AND ALL EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF CONDITION, UNINTERRUPTED USE, MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS, AND WARRANTIES (IF ANY) ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE PRACTICE. EA DOES NOT WARRANT AGAINST INTERFERENCE WITH YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE SOFTWARE; THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; THAT OPERATION OF THE SOFTWARE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR‐FREE, OR THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL BE COMPATIBLE WITH THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE OR THAT ANY ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE WILL BE CORRECTED. NO ORAL OR WRITTEN ADVICE PROVIDED BY EA OR ANY AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE SHALL CREATE A WARRANTY. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF OR LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATIONS ON THE APPLICABLE STATUTORY RIGHTS OF A CONSUMER, SO SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
9. Limitation of Liability. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT SHALL EA, ITS SUBSIDIARIES OR ITS AFFILIATES BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND ARISING OUT OF, RELATING TO, OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS LICENSE OR THE SOFTWARE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION PERSONAL INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE, LOSS OF DATA (INCLUDING PLAYER CHARACTERS, VIRTUAL GOODS OR CURRENCY, ACCOUNTS, STATISTICS, OR OTHER USER DATA), LOSS OF GOODWILL, INTERUPTION OF SERVICE, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER DISRUPTION, INTERFERENCE, FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, LOST PROFITS, COST OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, OR ANY FORM OF INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, WHETHER SUCH ALLEGED LOSS OR DAMAGE ARISES IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, AND WHETHER OR NOT EA HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW A LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, FRAUDULENT MISREPRESENTATIONS OR CERTAIN INTENTIONAL OR NEGLIGENT ACTS, OR VIOLATION OF SPECIFIC STATUTES, OR THE LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN NO EVENT SHALL EA’S TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES (EXCEPT AS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW) EXCEED THE AMOUNT ACTUALLY PAID BY YOU FOR THE SOFTWARE.
10. Limitation of Liability and Disclaimer of Warranties are Material Terms of this License. You agree that the provisions in this License that limit liability are essential terms of this License. The foregoing limitations of liability apply even if the above stated remedy under the Limited Warranty for Recording Media fails in its essential purpose.
11. Severability and Survival. If any provision of this License is illegal or unenforceable under applicable law, the remainder of the provision shall be amended to achieve as closely as possible the effect of the original term and all other provisions of this License shall continue in full force and effect.
12. U.S. Government Restricted Rights. If you are a government end user, then this provision applies to you. The Software provided in connection with this License has been developed entirely at private expense, as defined in FAR section 2.101, DFARS section 252.227‐7014(a)(1) and DFARS section 252.227‐7015 (or any equivalent or subsequent agency regulation thereof), and is provided as “commercial items,” “commercial computer software” and/or “commercial computer software documentation.” Consistent with DFARS section 227.7202 and FAR section 12.212, and to the extent required under U.S. federal law, the minimum restricted rights as set forth in FAR section 52.227‐19 (or any equivalent or subsequent agency regulation thereof), any use, modification, reproduction, release, performance, display, disclosure or distribution thereof by or for the U.S. Government shall be governed solely by this License and shall be prohibited except to the extent expressly permitted by this License.
13. Injunctive Relief. You agree that a breach of this License may cause irreparable injury to EA for which monetary damages would not be an adequate remedy and EA shall be entitled to seek equitable relief in addition to any remedies it may have hereunder or at law.
14. Governing Law. This License shall be governed by and construed (without regard to conflicts or choice of law principles) under the laws of the State of California as applied to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely in California between California residents. Unless expressly waived by EA in writing for the particular instance or contrary to local law, the sole and exclusive jurisdiction and venue for actions related to the subject matter hereof shall be the California state and federal courts having within their jurisdiction the location of EA’s principal corporate place of business. Both parties consent to the jurisdiction of such courts and agree that process may be served in the manner provided herein for giving of notices or otherwise as allowed by California or federal law. The parties agree that the UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (Vienna, 1980) shall not apply to this License or to any dispute or transaction arising out of this License.
15. Export. You agree to abide by U.S. and other applicable export control laws and agree not to transfer the Software to a foreign national, or national destination, which is prohibited by such laws, without first obtaining, and then complying with, any requisite government authorization. You certify that you are not a person with whom EA is prohibited from transacting business under applicable law.
16. Third Party Technology. If you use this Software on a MAC, then your Software incorporates technology developed by TransGaming Inc. (“Cider”). Cider(tm) is Copyright © 2000‐2009 TransGaming Inc.
17. Entire Agreement. This License constitutes the entire agreement between you and EA with respect to the Software and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous understandings regarding such subject matter. No amendment to or modification of this License will be binding unless made in writing and signed by EA. No failure to exercise, and no delay in exercising, on the part of either party, any right or any power hereunder shall operate as a waiver thereof, nor shall any single or partial exercise of any right or power hereunder preclude further exercise of any other right hereunder. In the event of a conflict between this License and any applicable purchase or other terms, the terms of this License shall govern.
© Electronic Arts Inc. 2009